What is the NYC Vet Biz Local map?
The NYC Vet Biz Local map is a place where you can show your support for a Veteran owned business in your community.
Vet Biz Local strives to support our Veteran and Local Communities, creating stronger businesses, and building thriving neighbourhoods across the five boroughs.
Why support a Veteran Owned Business?
Supporting your local Veteran owned businesses will bring jobs to Veterans and drive economic growth in your community. When buying from Veteran-owned businesses, you are:
- showing your appreciation to those who served
- supporting veterans, their employees, and their families
- promoting veteran success beyond the military
How do I access Veteran Business Information?
There are multiple ways to access Veteran Business information:
- Vet Biz Local Map – Map of NYC Veteran Owned Businesses with physical store fronts
- Vet Biz Local Map Search Menu – Located to the left of the Map, the menu allows you to search for businesses by borough or category
- Vet Biz Local Directory – Downloadable Veteran Owned Business directory that includes both store front businesses and online businesses
Are all NYC Veteran Owned Businesses listed on the Vet Biz Local?
While we do our best to keep Vet Biz Local updated with as many local Veteran Businesses as possible, the site will only include businesses verified as a Veteran Owned Businesses by New York State or City Government entities, such as the list of Service Disabled Veteran Owned Businesses, and business submitted to Vet Biz Local by the Veteran Business Owner via the online application and verified by the Department of Veterans’ Services.
We encourage you to visit the site often, as the Map and Directory are updated regularly.
Can I access a directory of Veteran Owned Businesses outside of the map?
Yes. You can search for a specific type of business utilizing the search menu of the Vet Biz Local Map or you can download a copy of the full Vet Biz Local Directory here. Check back periodically, as the Map and Directory are updated regularly.
Veteran Business Owner FAQs:
What is the NYC Vet Biz Local map of businesses?
The Vet Biz Local map is place where NYC Veteran Business Owners can promote their business and connect with local consumers.
Vet Biz Local is a customized interactive map that identifies NYC Veteran Owned Businesses, in order to encourage and support Veteran entrepreneurship, small business development, M/WBE certification, and foster local economy.
How do I add my Veteran Owned Business to the Vet Biz Local map?
If you are a Veteran Business Owner and your business is based within the 5 boroughs of New York City, you can submit a request to add your business to Vet Biz Local via the online application. Applications will be reviewed for eligibility by the NYC Department of Veterans’ Services. Verified businesses will be added to the Vet Biz Local Map and downloadable directory within 30 days of application.
What businesses are eligible to be added to the Vet Biz Local map?
Business Owners must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a Military Veteran Business Owner who operates a commercial business
- DVS recognizes all Military Service Members – past and present as Veterans
- Must be a majority owner of the business
- Must have proof of service for verification (ex. DD214 or Statement of Service)
- Must not be in violation of any applicable federal, state, or local law, rule or regulation
- Food businesses subject to inspection by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene must have an A or B letter grade
- Must be a small business [See SBA Table of Size Standards]
- Must not operate a Franchise, except Franchises that the Small Business Administration has determined to be small businesses may be eligible [Check the SBA Franchise Directory for more information]
- Must not owe any federal, state or city taxes and must not be delinquent in payments owed to resolve judgement or liens
- All required licenses or permits relating to the business must be current
What if my business is online only; can I apply?
If you are a Veteran Business Owner and your business is based within the 5 boroughs of New York City, you can submit a request to add your business to Vet Biz Local via the online application. Only verified businesses with a physical store front will be added to the online map. Verified businesses without a store front cannot be added to the online map, however will be added to the downloadable directory.
What additional resources are available to local Veteran Business Owners?
The Department of Veterans’ Services works closely with NYC Small Business Services (SBS) and other Government entities that support successful business certification. We encourage you to visit SBS and our DVS Veteran Organizations and Business page periodically for updated resources.
Resources include information and programming related to:
- EBE and M/WBE certification
- Government Contracting
- Networking and Training Programs
- Financial Support Resources
Have more questions? Contact us!
Veteran Business Owners can email us directly at email@example.com for business related inquiries. For general inquiries, contact DVS at 212-416-5250 or send a message here. DVS operating hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.